People love the convenience of finding contact information online. But most of us want to control what others can find about us.
- We’ll send a message for you through our postal or email message relay systems. You write the note and we’ll send it on, without revealing the street or email address.
- We help you find the right person, while protecting sensitive details. Displaying an age range in search results helps make sure you’ve found the right “John Smith”, and lets us protect the actual birthdate and age.
- We protect information about children, celebrities, and other vulnerable individuals.
- We make it easy to opt out of PeopleSmart. If you prefer not to be listed in our contact directory, you can easily remove your listing here.
- We educate our visitors about laws that limit how they can use PeopleSmart. Some of the laws that apply include the FCRA, GLBA, HIPAA, CAN-SPAM, and EEOC regulations.
- We protect sensitive details like religious or political affiliation, financial information, and gun ownership.
- We prevent the use of PeopleSmart for mass-mailing or marketing lists.
We work hard to make sure our records are up to date. That means we actively add new records as they come in, remove criminal records that are are expunged or sealed, and take steps to correct or remove inaccurate listings
We share the right information to meet your needs and protect the rest.
At PeopleSmart we believe in a proactive approach to user privacy. We actively remove information about children, public figures, and celebrities, and don’t show political affiliation, religious affiliation, or financial information. We clearly inform our users that personal information obtained from PeopleSmart can’t be used for purposes regulated under the FCRA or other applicable laws. In doing so, PeopleSmart works to protect privacy proactively.
PeopleSmart builds in privacy features by default. These protections are automatic – meaning you don’t have to tell us that you want them. In addition to shielding information about children, public figures, and celebrities, PeopleSmart also protects information about affiliations, finances, age and date of birth. And we don’t reveal cell phone numbers, email addresses, or postal addresses.
At PeopleSmart, we embed privacy into our design and IT architecture. PeopleSmart encrypts all data in transit using SSL encryption, and we tokenize sensitive customer data to safeguard against risk of data breaches. Customer information resides in separate databases from those housing public records and people search data. We believe in facilitating access to people search and public data while respecting and protecting people’s privacy.
We avoid the false dichotomy of privacy versus open information. PeopleSmart believes in finding people and making connections without sacrificing privacy. For example, we’re proud to be the only people search company to offer a postal relay system that lets users send mail without exposing the recipient’s mailing address. PeopleSmart believes user privacy can be a “win win” for everyone involved.
PeopleSmart believes in implementing strong security measures from start to finish. That’s why we not only encrypt the data on our site, but also take extra precautions to secure sensitive customer data. We do this, for example, by continuously scanning our applications for security vulnerabilities. Additionally, all credit cards and payment information are tokenized to prevent any added risk in the event of a security incident. And in full alignment with data lifecycle stewardship, we proactively delete inactive customer accounts and all associated customer information.
At PeopleSmart we emphasize visibility and transparency in our business practices. For example, we make our privacy policies easy to understand by using clear language, avoiding legalese, and highlighting the key terms users must agree to. By transparently presenting our data-handling practices, we ensure that our users can make informed decisions about their privacy.
PeopleSmart is a privacy-friendly people search engine, which means we limit the type and amount of data we hold. Our respect for privacy is woven throughout our services. It shows up in our handling of age information (displaying only a range in search results) and in our shielding of information regarding income, political affiliation, religious affiliation, and ethnicity. PeopleSmart’s user-centric opt-out flow makes it easy for individuals to control their information on the site.